Well here we are another year! I can’t believe it’s already 2013! 2012 was an overall successful year, I feel like I’ve changed SO much since last January and I’m thankful that my plans and ambitions are still as strong as ever!
I’d like to list my top 10 moments/ successes in 2012:
- Finding out I was accepted at UoA!!! (obvi #1 hehe)
- Graduating from UoG – so happy to move on!!! yesssss success!!
- Having my wisdom teeth taken out – not a great moment but a moment I won’t soon forget lol
- Meeting my first new roommates in Edmonton and biking around discovering the city together (highlight of my summer)
- Camping in Banff (and almost getting attacked by a bear – actually!!) – I had never been so close to a black BEAR in my life!
- Weekend trip to beautiful Jasper & the Hot Springs!
- Representing my research group at a national conference!!
- Finally being able to hold a headstand for 60 seconds straight AND being able touch the ground with both hands flat while standing! – been working on these all year!
- Reading more books this year then I have in the past 5 years combined lol
- Paying back more than $10,000 in debt – there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Overall I am proud of my 2012 year because:
I finally got the chance to really be an adult for the first time in my life
For having the courage to live on my own and
Giving myself the chance to figure out who I am and what I really want out of life!
May the journey begin – here I come 2013!!!
- Get 2 additional reference letters/ contacts
- Publish 2 peer reviewed articles by March 2013.
- Be 1st author on at least 4 peer reviewed published papers on nutrition and health by December 2013.
- Give a minimum of 5 presentations on my research to a group of >20 people
- Win a minimum of 2 awards/ scholarships related to health research, knowledge translation, maternal health and/or nutrition education.
- Graduate with MSc in Nutritional Epidemiology (2015)
- Earn an extra $400/month on top of work pay (January to June 2013)
- Save %75 of tax money into RSP
- Create and review a budget every month
- Pay back Student LOC by end of January 2013
- Save $1000 into RRSP TD e-series account by December 2013
- Pay back $2400 onto OSAP by December 2013 ($200/ month)
- Have an emergency fund with 1 month savings: $2,000
- Create a travel saving fund: save $100 a month into it per year = 1 trip worth $1,200 allowed each year.
- Workout 4 times per week – snowboarding (in winter), Biking (in summer), rock climbing, gym, yoga
- Run the warrior dash (or spartan race)
- Complete a triathlon (Summer 2013?)
- Run to the top of the CN tower
- Go white water rafting in Ottawa or Alberta
- Go ice climbing (one day?)
- Go bungee jumping
- Learn how to rock climb – rope techniques, outdoor rock climbing etc.
- Go outdoor rock climbing
- Run 3 races this year (min. 10km per race)
- Go on a biking/camping adventure for min. 1 week (maybe along the Montreal trail?? )
- Complete reading 2 books a month (total 24 books by Dec2013)
- Write 4 letters home per month
- Take a stain-glass making class to potentially pick up as a hobby
- Learn to fly a small plane – take a course!
- Write once a week on Blog or Website
- Volunteer in field, find contacts & network (find 1 volunteer placement)
- Attend a minimum of 2 seminar/ webinar or networking events a month
- Do one side job working with IDRC, CIHR, OHC etc. to gain experience in policy and Canadian healthcare.
- Work to implement a policy and spread awareness of the importance of keeping medical records of prenatal care, complications and outcomes for all Canadians.
Extra / Travel
Take a French language class in September 2013
- Go to South Africa to volunteer for min. 4 week in July/ August 2013
- Travel to Africa and climb Mount Kilimanjaro – maybe combine with my above plan??
- Travel to 2 countries on my bucket list (by end of 2013) – look into travel grants while in MSc for potential funding of flights, research abroad etc.